In- Person Day at the Capitol 2023
On May 2, 2023, PACT and TRU held their annual Day at the Capitol and student rally in person at the Pennsylvania State Capital with legislative meetings followed by a public Community Forum. Over 350 youth and adult lung health and tobacco control advocates shared their voices with Pennsylvania lawmakers and urged legislators to close loopholes in the Clean Indoor Air Act, stock albuterol and to maintain level state funding for tobacco prevention and control programs. Other event highlights include:
- Advocates met with more than 70 legislators to ask for their support on three important issues – clean indoor air policies, MSA funding, and school asthma medication
- Youth Activities – TRU members also took part in fun activities, including a leadership presentation with Patrick Perez, leaving their mark our TRU Turns 10 banner, and signing Lung Hero capes for our legislative speakers.
Virtual Day at the Capitol 2021
On May 4, PACT and TRU held their annual Day at the Capitol and student rally virtually with legislative meetings followed by a public Community Forum. Over 300 youth and adult lung health and tobacco control advocates shared their voices with over 70 Pennsylvania lawmakers and urged legislators to maintain level state funding ($13.754 million) for FY22 to tobacco prevention and control programs and to close loopholes in the Clean Indoor Air Act. Following the legislative visits, the public Community Forum featured TRU youth, lung health experts, an open Q&A as well as virtual exhibit booths.
- 25 youth participated in nearly 72 legislative video calls, along with over 100 PACT adult advocates, to share their personal stories about the effects of the youth vaping epidemic to further emphasize the importance of maintaining level tobacco prevention and control program funding. Advocates also educated legislators about the importance of clean indoor air, especially during the ongoing pandemic.
- During the live Community Forum, the Chief Mission and Chief Medical Officer of the Lung Association spoke about the increased importance of funding as well as the dangers of secondhand smoke for highlight the need for comprehensive clean indoor air. Three TRU Ambassadors spoke during the forum to showcase the importance of e-cigarette education for students & teachers and effective peer-to-peer tobacco prevention activities. Lastly, two PA lawmakers shared recorded videos applauding the efforts of the advocates.
- The virtual 6Connex platform featured 4 different “booths” containing educational information on the dangers of e-cigarettes, asthma, as well as information on ALA events and TRU. The TRU exhibit booth contained all of the youth activities for the event, including a Padlet board to collect messages about MSA funding, a “Raise the Bar (Graph)” activity to show the small percentage of MSA funds that PA tobacco programs have received over the years, and a template email to send to their legislators.
Day at the Capitol 2020
Our First Virtual Day at the Capitol!
PACT advocates had the chance to speak with state legislators over the phone to discuss the importance of their work and/or passion for tobacco prevention and control and attend a virtual Town Hall to learn more about the connection between COVID-19 & tobacco use, the e-cigarette epidemic, the history and importance of tobacco prevention & control funding, and the experience & thoughts of current TRU youth and students across PA.
Day at the Capitol 2019
Visit the PACT Facebook page to view photos from this successful event.